Strategies for Combatting Homesickness
- Acknowledge that you are feeling homesick.
- Talk with others about your experience.
- Get to know your new environment.
- Take care of yourself.
- Join a student group.
- The more your feel part of campus life, the less homesick you will feel. MU has over 400 recognized student organizations. For a list of these groups, visit: the MU Organization Resource Group website.
- Try to establish a routine.
- Keep in touch with friends and family from home but place a limit on telephone usage.
- Stay in Columbia as much as possible.
- Set a goal to approach one new person a day and introduce yourself.
- Be patient with yourself.
Adjusting to any new situation/environment takes time. If your homesickness persists or is interfering with academic performance or relationships, consider talking with someone at the Counseling Center.